How I Got Here...

07:59

Do you ever worry that you are going to run out of time to do something with your life? Like father time is chasing after you and he is only one step behind and if you don’t keep running ahead of him, hes going to catch up, and if he catches up you won't have that time anymore, he'll stop you, it will be too late, your chance is over, you're only young once...

I used to think like this far too often. I used to think that time, or lack thereof, was something that would fly by far too quickly and being any older than 25 is no fun, so I must do everything – university, travel, build my school in Africa, have a dog, a career, and everything else I want out of my life all done by then so that it would be enjoyable and I would make the most of it. It took me till very close to the age of 22 to realise that I was wrong.

I strolled out of university straight into an already set up job where I would be presenting, writing and travelling at the same time, about subjects that I was passionate about with a set up I was more than happy with. Sounds too good to be true right? Well here’s the shocker; it was. Two months in to my new found 'career starter', the project came to an abrupt and unexpected halt. This halt lead to an extension, which lead to another extension, then another one; several pauses later and still without seeing a penny, (yep, still waiting on that one!) I resigned. During this time, I had no place to live since with the project being travel based, I had put what little belongings I own in a storage base, and since I have not been paid yet, I had no money to put down for somewhere to live. This in effect, rendered me homeless. 

Now this may sound like a negative thing and unfortunately for far too many people around the world, it is. But for myself however, I found the whole ordeal very freeing. For the first time in my life, I was free from education, free from having to worry and pay for things like rent and bills, free from the 9 till 5 nightmares, free from having to organise or run anything, free from having a boss, parent or tutor or anybody else to answer to but myself and with no children, no pets and no boyfriend asking me to compromise my life for his; I felt what true Liberty is. I was always the crazily busy person who had a million things to do, manage, organise, events to attend, I was part of various sport teams and societies throughout uni, I worked two jobs, a social life, I always seemed to be dating someone; finding time to myself was hard! And although of course that is how I chose to live my life and I loved it, to be honest, when my wall labeled 'Security' came tumbling down on top of me over the Summer, I found myself feeling slightly relieved. I was glad of the free time for the first time in forever. Although my 'plan' for when I left uni - move in with the boyfriend, travel for work, build a career, save money etc etc - had not worked out in the slightest, I found my self feeling really glad that it hadn't. Everything happens for a reason and spending those couple of months on friends couches and living out of a fairly large handbag is something that I would not trade for anything. I would also like to take this blog post as an opportunity to thank all of the wonderful, understanding and welcoming friends that I have who let me and my sleeping bag stay on their couches during this time. I am forever grateful. In fact, I rather miss the simplicity of that nomadic lifestyle...

Or rather what I really miss, is Grow Heathrow. Grow Heathrow, mentioned in a previous blog post of mine here, is a wonderful grassroots activist community in West Drayton, just outside of London. A group of unique individuals, all squatting on the land campaigning for a more eco-friendly world and a better justice system that means having the money does not automatically mean having the power. Always a nomad and hippy at heart and after quickly falling in love with what a Bohemian lifestyle is really about, it was the perfect place to be and I found myself spending the majority of my time there. I have such great friends from there, people from all different walks in life, who all just want to make a positive difference in the world. Each person there had a positive effect on me. From Alf who said something so simply yet amazing I just had to write it down; "Why do we have to be mellow!? We got up this morning, we're breathing!" To Richard, whose only clothing possessions, out of choice, were the ones he has on his back. A true inspiration of living a simplistic there-are-more-important-things-in-life lifestyle. They truly taught me that contrary to what the consumerists would have us all believe, you do not need money to live. They are also the inspiration behind my charity walk from North Wales to London, but more on that in another blog post...

My only issue was that my passion to travel and see the world was one that still burned bright inside of me and was an urge that I just had to feed. Not wanting to be tied down to any one place for too long, I started researching seasonal work for the winter months. I am now currently working as a holiday rep in Morzine, France! Accommodation, food and skiing all included - I literally could not ask for anymore. My accommodation is with several other, all lovely girls, but is very, very cramped and wait for it, oh no... no wifi. Now I can perfectly see how these conditions would not be ideal for some people but honestly I love it. Even without my natural 'things-could-be-worse', 'silver-lining' attitude, I now have true experience in "Wow, oh jeeze, where am I going to stay tonight? Oh I really don't want to bother so and so, I wonder if this person will have a couch, oh I hate asking! Maybe I should ask my parents...?" To put it simply: I have a guaranteed bed and a guaranteed paid for and cooked for me meal, every night! What more do you actually really need to live!? That is so much more than so many people have in this world and I refuse to be anything but grateful and thankful. 

The people here are amazing and I have made some great friends, the job is a lot more paper work than I thought, yet I am still loving it. I have already had so many great experiences and although I usually find it overrated, I ending up having one of the best New Years that I have ever had, (hangover not included), with so many great people. I am still working on my French and still have so much more of the mountain that my skis and I have to explore, but so far, I am very much enjoying my time out here.

So what is the plan for when the season comes to an end...? I have absolutely no idea! And I love it that way.

I want to write, I want to perform, I want to travel, I want to write about my travels, I want to help coach sports in under developed communities, build my school in Africa, live on a boat, help as many people as I can, visit India, work with the sea shepherds, save the animals, inspire people to be eco-friendly, save the world, go on a missionary, sit in the beach in Sydney and watch the fireworks at New Years, be an Elf in Santas workshop in Lapland, work as a professional mermaid and a professional Disney Princess, campaign for equality of the sexes and more and somewhere between all that become a presenter and use my fame and money to fund and influence even more world saving and travelling.... But as far as planning my career and all that jazz goes, whats the rush? Money is not as much as a necessity to live as society would have us believe and I have much more time in my life than I had anticipated. Father Time can go on jogging past me. I feel like strolling for a while. Everything happens for a reason, its all in Gods hands, and I am going to see where this journey takes me.


You Might Also Like

0 comments